What Is It?
From the Work Wellness and Disability Prevention Institute (formerly the Canadian Institute for the Relief of Pain and Disability) comes a standardized sleep diary. This PDF provides step by step instructions of how to keep a sleep diary including questions like:
- What time did you get into bed?
- How many times did you wake up, not counting your final awakening?
- After your final awakening, how long did you spend in bed trying to sleep?
- How would you rate the quality of your sleep?
- How many drinks containing alcohol did you have?
This standardized form offers a great explanation of how to complete a sleep diary. Although many physiotherapists may discuss sleep hygiene with their patients, it can be a challenge to evaluate a patients compliance and success with these recommendations. Having patients keep a sleep diary can help with this.